Here’s our recap of what happened in online marketing today, as reported on Marketing Land and other places across the web.
From Marketing Land:
- YouTube’s unskippable 30-second video ads will sunset next year
Feb 17, 2017 by Ginny Marvin
Shorter ads will be the focus as the traditional 30-second spot is pushed out.
- Broken link building made easy
Feb 17, 2017 by Patrick Stox
Broken link building is a great tactic, but prospecting for broken links in your niche can be time-consuming and inefficient. Luckily, columnist Patrick Stox has a handy method for identifying relevant broken linking opportunities.
- No more free ride: Wall Street Journal pulls content out of Google’s “First Click Free” program
Feb 17, 2017 by Danny Sullivan
WSJ move might cause other publishers to remove content from Google’s program, if it turns out ‘Subscription’ label doesn’t hurt conversions.
- Can we machine-learn Google’s machine-learning algorithm?
Feb 17, 2017 by Jayson DeMers
As Google becomes increasingly sophisticated in its methods for scoring and ranking web pages, it’s more difficult for marketers to keep up with SEO best practices. Columnist Jayson DeMers explores what can be done to keep up in a world where machine learning rules the day.
- Missed link-building opportunities: Reclaiming broken links
Feb 17, 2017 by Janet Driscoll Miller
Link building is an investment, so don’t let your efforts go to waste! Columnist Janet Driscoll Miller shares two ways you can reclaim backlinks that are producing 404 errors.
- A CMO’s View: How Barnes & Noble College builds its marketing around Gen Z & Millennial needs
Feb 17, 2017 by Amy Gesenhues
Lisa Malat says her brand is focused on initiatives that support the academic and social experience of the students it aims to serve.
- Traction Media launches Live Suite for delivering a live video stream across many sites
Feb 17, 2017 by Barry Levine
The Suite, which also offers social promotion and analytics, is designed to drive viewership and promote events.
- [Podcast] Marketing Land Live #45: What are haptic ads with Josh Stivers of Immersion
Feb 17, 2017 by Matt McGee
In this week’s show, we talk about a new kind of mobile ad that consumers can feel as they watch — they’re called haptic ads and brands are starting to try them out.
- Why marketers’ approaches to sales shoppers must change
Feb 17, 2017 by James Collins
Columnist James Collins dives into data on the behavior of shoppers who are looking for savings and discusses what it means for your marketing strategy.
- Intro to Agile Marketing: Work faster and smarter by changing how you work
Feb 16, 2017 by Digital Marketing Depot
Are you struggling to keep pace with rapidly changing customer needs and market demands? Are you slowed down by organizational silos, hierarchies and processes? It may be time to get agile. More than 90 percent of marketers who have adopted agile marketing say it has improved their speed to market for ideas, products and campaigns.
Online Marketing News From Around The Web:
- Bridging the Gaps: Measuring Marketing Impact in an Omni-Channel World, MarTech Advisor
- Democratizing BI to Give SMBs Access to Complex Data Analytics, CMS Wire
- Building Global Community, Facebook
- David: 10 years ago this Sunday (Tumblr’s 10th anniversary), Yahoo Tumblr
- Parse cofounder James Yu leaves Facebook, VentureBeat
- Yahoo and Tumblr Join Amicus Brief Contesting Immigration Executive Order, Yahoo Policy
- Zuckerberg Lays Out Broad Vision for Facebook in 6,000-Word Mission Statement, Wall Street Journal
- 6 Steps to Find the Perfect Content Marketing Pro, Content Marketing Institute
- How Event Marketing Can Boost Your Content Strategy, Contently
Copywriting, Design & Usability
- Selling domains in China, The Domains
- Amazon could deliver your packages by parachute, VentureBeat
- Does Wal-Mart have an e-commerce plan?, Internet Retailer
- Top 3 technologies revolutionizing ecommerce, Mobile Commerce Daily
- US e-commerce sales grow 15.6% in 2016, Internet Retailer
- Entrepreneurs: Promoting Products with Email, Jon Loomer Digital
- How To Improve Your Email Campaigns Using Analytics, Search Engine People
- Our 5 Favorite Valentine’s Day 2017 Emails, Movable Ink Blog
- To Optimize Email Marketing, Test These 3 Elements, Practical Ecommerce
General Internet Marketing
- 8 Tips for Running Your First Influencer Marketing Campaign, Contently
- Learn How to Market to Millennials From a Millenial, Authority Labs
- March 2017 Marketing and Holiday Planning, Constant Contact
- Marketing Insights From the Man From Mars, Social Media Explorer
- Why You Need Influencer Relations Marketing Now, Heidi Cohen
Internet Marketing Industry
- Discover the next generation of programmatic advertising technology, Inside AdSense
- How to Connect the Dots Across Your MarTech Stack, MarTech Advisor
- The Marriage of AI and ABM: A Perfect Match for B2B Organizations, MarTech Advisor
- After Apps Won Round 1, How Will We Monetize The Future Of Mobile?, AdExchanger
- How Do People Use Virtual Assistants on Their Smartphones?, eMarketer
- How to set up a great push notification marketing strategy, Tune
- Updated Messenger Platform Policies and Faster Review Times, Facebook for Developers
- Why Starting With Cookies Doesn’t Make Sense For Cross-Device Tracking, AdExchanger
- 3 Ways Facebook Automation Can Help You Manage Ads, PPC Hero
- 4 Advanced Facebook Ad Hacks For Small Budgets, Social Media Explorer
- 5 charts on how brands’ use of Snapchat is changing, Digiday
- Brands Are Experimenting With Snapchat, Adweek
- Everything You Need To Know About LinkedIn Ads, The AdStage Blog
- Facebook plans customizable filters for nudity and violence, TechCrunch
- How to Use Facebook Ads to Boost Your Best Content, Social Media Examiner
- See The World Through Pinterest Lens + Find Instant Ideas, Tailwind Blog
- Why Social Commerce Isn’t Exploding Yet, Adweek
- 360-Degree Content: What it Meant for Marketers in 2016, Socialbakers
- 4 Ways to Drive Your Digital Strategy with Facebook Video Ads, Convince and Convert
- Facebook, YouTube Each Emerge as Singular Platform Brands Choose for Campaigns, eMarketer
- Insights from a year of 360 Videos on Facebook, Facebook Media
- Maker Studios Downsizing To Just 300 Creators – Here’s Why, MediaKix
- YouTube Live vs. Facebook Live: Which Platform Wins?, MediaKix