Here’s our recap of what happened in online marketing today, as reported on Marketing Land and other places across the web.
From Marketing Land:
- [Podcast] Marketing Land Live #44: A Super Bowl / Hashtag Bowl recap with Brandwatch CMO Will McInnes
Feb 10, 2017 by Matt McGee
In this week’s show, we talk about the risk brands take when making political statements in their marketing messages, the declining use of hashtags and more.
- Cool tricks to explore Google’s Knowledge Graph results, featuring Donald Trump
Feb 10, 2017 by Tony Edward
Whether you want to gain some insight into how Google’s Knowledge Graph works or just want to prank your friends, columnist Tony Edward shows some cool tricks for changing up the SERP display with URL modifiers.
- Top 10 YouTube Ads in January: Clash Royale spot ranks No. 1 with 11.1M views
Feb 10, 2017 by Amy Gesenhues
The combined video views for January’s top 10 ads totaled 37.8 million, a significant drop from the 100 million views generated in December.
- Local SEO in 2017: 5 simple ways to dominate local search
Feb 10, 2017 by Sherry Bonelli
New to local search? Wondering where to start? Columnist Sherry Bonelli offers five tactics to help you kick off your local SEO campaign.
- Making the right martech bets [Infographic]
Feb 10, 2017 by Liam O’Connor
How are leading organizations approaching their marketing technology (martech) strategy? Contributor Liam O’Connor shares an infographic summarizing recent research findings by Lenati and Chiefmartec.com.
- Google releases Chrome version with the first browser support for WebVR
Feb 10, 2017 by Barry Levine
New capability means that users no longer need to download an app to view online VR.
- Hootsuite buys AdEspresso, adds onboard Facebook/Instagram ad management
Feb 10, 2017 by Barry Levine
The acquisition and new capabilities point to the importance of social ads to social management platforms.
- Facebook opens itself to measurement audit, gives brands more control over video ad buys
Feb 10, 2017 by Tim Peterson
Facebook will sell video ads based on the industry’s viewability standard and introduce a new sound-on option.
- Nielsen’s ‘Digital in TV Ratings’ wins MRC accreditation
Feb 10, 2017 by Barry Levine
The certification marks another step toward full data equality for online-delivered television.
- Yelp Q4: earnings beat expectations, but guidance disappoints investors
Feb 10, 2017 by Greg Sterling
The company will continue to focus on growing its mobile-app user base in 2017.
- What businesses need to know about the Yelp Elite program
Feb 10, 2017 by Brian Patterson
If you’re not familiar with the Yelp Elite program, it might be time to bone up on it. Columnist Brian Patterson gets into the nitty-gritty of the program and explains how it can be a boon for marketers and business owners.
- 3 things you can do to stop (or at least slow) customer churn
Feb 10, 2017 by Jordan Elkind
Getting your customers to keep coming back is crucial for sustainable growth. Columnist Jordan Elkind outlines three things to keep in mind when setting up a churn prevention program.
- Create an RFP for your next website project with this step-by-step guide
Feb 9, 2017 by Digital Marketing Depot
From technology selection to revamped branding, the process of redesigning a website is far more than new colors and content. Proper up-front preparation and a thorough understanding of your goals and needs set you up for long-term success.
- See the MarTech Conference agenda now
Feb 9, 2017 by Marketing Land
MarTech returns to the San Francisco Hilton May 9–11. This year’s expanded edition features eight tracks on topics at the intersection of marketing and IT. This unique program blends advanced marketing, technology and management presentations, each designed to help you succeed in our software-powered marketing world. View the complete agenda. Register now!
Online Marketing News From Around The Web:
- CJ Affiliate’s User Experience (UX) Philosophy, Conversant Blog
Blogs & Blogging
- How to Raise Your Instagram Game for Your Blog, The Blog Herald
- Q&A site Quora clamps down on anonymity – will review content before publishing, restrict actions, TechCrunch
- Twitter hopes machine learning can save it from oblivion, VentureBeat
- Do You Have a Plan to Scale Content Creation?, Duct Tape Marketing
- How Repurposing Content Can Take Your Content Strategy from Good to Great, Convince and Convert
- The Downsides of Licensed Content, MarTech Advisor
- Understand How Content is Influencing Buyers: A Primer on Attribution Models, Content Marketing Institute
- How to Increase Conversion Rates On Your Site in 5 Easy Steps, Small Biz Trends
Copywriting, Design & Usability
- .Ceo and .best to release 1 and 2 character domains, The Domains
- As expected, .Com/.Net shed 1.9 million domains last quarter, Domain Name Wire
- Capitalizing on the US online market from overseas, Mobile Commerce Daily
- Lessons Learned from John Lewis’ Mcommerce Efforts, eMarketer
- Making the most of multichannel (with data’s help), Econsultancy
- Super Bowl 2017 Email Report: It’s a Touchdown for Read-Lengths, Movable Ink Blog
General Internet Marketing
- 8 Common Pitfalls of Influencer Marketing (and How to Avoid Them), CMS Wire
- Alexa, Google: What Does My Brand Sound Like?, AdAge
- Creative Commons’ New Search Tool is Now in Beta, Pulls CC Images from Multiple Sources, WordPress Tavern
- Replace the Marketing Funnel: Dig Deeper into Customer Behavior, CMS Wire
- The Future of Advertising: What Wharton learned from 200 marketing leaders, MarketingSherpa Blog
- The Next Generation of Influencer Marketing, Marketo
- What You and Your Brand Stand for Must Be Chrystal Clear, Compukol
Internet Marketing Industry
- MSN Partners with VigLink to Unlock a New Global Revenue Stream, VigLink
- Announcing CrowdTangle’s Partnership with Reddit, Facebook Media
- Taptica Named Top 20 Mobile Ad Network for ROI, Taptica Blog
- TEN: The Enthusiast Network and Tubular Labs Announce Partnership, Business Wire
- 7 Mobile Trends for Business in 2017, The Hub
- Messaging is missing from luxury brand’s social strategies, Mobile Commerce Daily
- WhatsApp now using a two-step verification process, Phone Arena
- Which Is More Important: Technical SEO or Reputation Management?, Search Engine Guide
- #LoveHappens on Twitter, Twitter
- 10 Things You Need to Do When Getting Started on Instagram, Constant Contact Blogs
- 11 Reasons Your Facebook Ads Aren’t Connecting with Consumers, Search Engine Journal
- 4 Social Media Resolutions for Small Businesses, Adweek
- Are Your Facebook and Instagram Friends Inspiring Your Fast-Food Choices?, Adweek
- Engineering Shop the Look on Pinterest, Pinterest Engineering
- Facebook can now replace your weather app, TechCrunch
- Facebook Pixel Adoption: The Ultimate Transition Guide, The AdStage Blog
- Facebook: We’re not a news outlet. Researchers: Yes, you are, VentureBeat
- For Twitter, a High-Impact Conundrum, eMarketer
- How to Get to Know Your Digital Neighborhood on Social, Simply Measured
- Instagram Stories: How to Create Engaging Stories, Social Media Examiner
- Snapchat pushes original, unscripted Shows with new A+E Networks deal, TechCrunch
- The 10 Biggest Twitter Statistics Every Marketer Must Know, MediaKix
- The 10 Most Social Media Minded CEOs, Conversocial
- The Importance of the Facebook Pixel, Jon Loomer Digital
- How to Dramatically Increase Views on Embedded Website Videos with One Simple Trick, The Sales Lion
- How US Brands Can Tap Into China’s Live Streaming Explosion, eMarketer
- Periscope iOS Update Adds Groups Tab to User Profiles, More, Adweek
- What Brands Should Do to Ensure That Their Videos on Twitter Attract Attention, Adweek